Do the Red Centre - discoveraustralia.com

Stuart Town Gaol

Details & Facilities

Hours: Mon to Fri - 10:30am to 12:30pm, Sat - 9am to 12pm & closed Sunday


Web: Visit website
Phone: 08 8981 2848

Description

Construction of the Stuart Town Gaol and police station started in 1907 by local builders using materials sourced from the district. It is a simple design made of local stone that reflects the rough discriminatory treatment of prisoners during the early twentieth century. As the first government building in the town it was harsh but basically functional.

The Stuart Town Gaol replaced a facility that stood adjacent to the southern side of Heavitree Gap. Its inadequate facilities and the periodic flooding of the Todd River prompted the decision to move. Construction of this new gaol was completed in 1909 and it served as the Town's gaol until 1938.

Today it houses memorabilia and stories relating to police and prisoner history and life in Central Australia. Open to the public via keys that are collected from the Hartley Street School.


Map & Directions

Directions

Located at 8 Parsons Street, in the centre of town, across from the Police Station.